MCRD Parris Island
East Coast Recruit Training
Today, male recruits from the eastern United States and all female recruits train here, totaling nearly 18,000 recruits annually. Marines were first stationed at Parris Island deep in the salt marshes of South Carolina in 1891. On November 1, 1915, Marine Corps Recruit Depot (MCRD) Parris Island was officially designated as a recruit training base, and it has been making Marines ever since. It is the longest continually operating recruit training base. The buildings constructed between 1891 and WWI form the Parris Island Historic District. Several structures are designated on the National Register of Historic Places, including the commanding general's house and a 19th century dry dock.
- Parris Island is one of the most visited military facilities in the world, hosting more than 120,000 visitors a year.
- The Depot consists of 8,095 acres, of which only 3,262 are habitable. The remaining acres are primarily salt marsh.
- Enlisted male training began here in November 1915.
- Enlisted female training began here in February 1949.
- More than a million men and women have trained at the Depot, and have served the United States all over the globe.
- Marines have trained at the Depot during each major conflict of the 20th and 21st centuries:
- WWI – 41,000 recruits
- WWII – 205,000 recruits
- Korean War – 138,000 recruits
- Vietnam War – 250,000 recruits
- Operation Desert Shield & Operation Desert Storm (Kuwait)
- Operation Restore Hope (Somalia)